Monday, June 18, 2007

gum surgery part deux

Yup, the saga of gum grafting continues. Since Tuesday when I first had the surgery, I've been bothered by a sort of band aid that they put over the sutures. It came most of the way off on Wednesday and spent the rest of the week dangling around and pulling on my stitches. Not fun. Today I broke down and called the dentist and asked if he could see me earlier than my scheduled post op appointment. He had time this afternoon, and I was back in the saddle. Again with the really uncomfortable numbing process, and again with the hours of swollen lips and mouth without sensation. Finally around 5 my mouth started to come back to life and I was pleased to find that I am more comfortable without the silly band aid thingy. I can however, see my stitches much more clearly now. Let me just say that a gum graft, from what I can see peering into my own mouth, is really a blob of shapeless tissue stitched to your gums. It's not pretty people. Floss regularly, use a very soft toothbrush, and hope for good genes.

1 comment:

Sarah said...

**shudder**